There are many additional tools that automate the routine part of the work:
- Sass/SCSS, LESS, Bootstrap (three leading frameworks);
The front-end developer on the web is responsible for ensuring that the site’s pages look the same in all browsers and match the designer’s layout. With the advent of new development tools and more modern browsers, this task is easier than before. But the interfaces of modern sites or Internet services are becoming more complex, and the variety of devices from which users access the Web is constantly expanding – for example, tablets and smartphones have been added to desktops and laptops. Therefore, it is very important for a front-end developer, like any programmer, to be constantly aware of all the innovations and tricks in order to successfully adapt sites to new devices.
Features of the profession
Responsibilities of a front-end web developer include:
- creating an HTML page of the site based on design layouts, that is, layout using HTML and CSS based on design / design layouts;
- binding to the user interface of scripts that provide visualization and animation of the site pages;
- providing the required level of user interface (UI – User Interface) and interaction experience (UX – User Experience);
- development of single page applications (single page application) on popular libraries: React, Angular or Vue.js.
Pros and cons of the profession
- Demanded and highly paid profession.
- I have been working as a front-end developer for the last 5 years, before that I worked as a desktop developer in C# for many years. For myself, I see the following advantages in front-line development:
- There are many vacancies, thousands of companies make websites, various complex services, you will never be left without a job.
- You immediately see the result, even if you are waiting for a backend developer, you can substitute mock data and make an implementation on them.
- Most startups now make websites, you can join them or implement your own interesting project. Part of the functionality can be implemented without a backend developer, there are special sites that allow you to save information on the server without programming.
- In this profession, job responsibilities are not clearly defined, and not every manager understands exactly what a front-end developer should do.
- Interacting with a lot of people—back-end developers, users, designers, testers, analysts—and constantly participating in team discussions can be stressful and inefficient.
Place of work
- Companies developing websites, web applications, mobile applications, freelance.
- Important qualities
The front-end developer will be very useful for success in his work:
- analytical mind;
- a responsibility;
- attention to details;
- Creative skills;
- teamwork skills;
- objective self-assessment – the ability to measure the level of one’s skills and abilities with the ability to solve the tasks;
- focus on results;
- a constant desire to learn new technologies and tools.
Front-end developer training
To become a professional front-end developer, it is not necessary, but it is desirable to have a higher IT education.
Career steps and prospects
A front-end developer can become an unsurpassed and highly paid guru of creating a user part of a product or try himself in related roles:
– back-end developer;
– full-stack developer, combining front-end responsibilities
– back-end developer.
Further career may develop in different ways, depending on the place of work, personal preferences. In any case, in the IT field, it is useful to develop in a horizontal direction, mastering related professions in order to become a real master ace.
Who is an HTML coder
HTML, short for Hyper Text Markup Language, is a hypertext markup language developed by the World Wide Web Consortium for creating and publishing web pages. The task of the HTML coder is to create code that will be displayed in the same way in all browsers (“cross-browser”), taking into account different monitor resolutions and features of work on different devices: tablets, mobile phones, e-books and even smart watches (“adaptability”) .
- website graphic design analysis;
- selection of template model;
- cutting graphic sprites;
- assembly of the HTML template.
- Simply put, the functional duties of an HTML layout designer are the translation of a picture drawn by a designer into a language understandable to any browser, that is, converting the layout into a live site that users see.
Stages of layout and types of sites
A Web site is a collection of logically related HTML documents. The logic by which these documents are linked is called the site structure, or site map. Technically, layout consists in creating a code for each of the pages of the site in CSS and HTML, as a result, browsers recognize and present the site to the user as the developers intended.
Before the start of layout, the design graphic file is analyzed in detail, after which it is cut into parts, on the basis of which an HTML document is generated, which is a structured set of HTML tags. This happens in several stages:
- a cascading style sheet is formed with a description of the site’s color scheme and the arrangement of elements on the page;
- menus, form buttons and all site controls are formed;
- user interface is being developed.
As a result of these actions, an HTML site template is obtained. If the site is static, at this stage the template is filled with content, then the site is uploaded to the hosting.